Glossary of Terms
- Sustainability: development and use of resources that meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
- Brundtland Commission: a group formally known as the World Commission on Environment and Development (WCED), that formed under the UN to encourage countries to pursue sustainable development collectively.
- Economic sustainability: the ability of an economy to support a defined level of economic production
- Environmental sustainability: pertains to the rates of renewable resource harvest, pollution creation, and non-renewable resource depletion that can be continued indefinitely
- Socio-cultural sustainability: addresses the longevity of communities and all that defines them including cultures, traditions, beliefs and values.
- Agricultural sustainability: is the production of food, fibre, or other plant or animal products using farming techniques that protect the environment, public health, human communities, and animal welfare.
The government of Canada takes sustainability seriously. For a brief review of the strategy, visit: http://www.fsds-sfdd.ca/#/en/detail/all/keyword:sustainable%20agriculture
Ducks Unlimited (2016). Wetlands. Retrieved from: http://www.ducks.ca/our-work/wetlands/
Government of Saskatchewan (no date). Agriculture Development Fund. Retrieved from: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/business/agriculture-natural-resources-and-industry/agribusiness-farmers-and-ranchers/agricultural-research-programs/knowledge-creation/agriculture-development-fund
Saskatchewan Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure (no date). Shortline Railway Sustainability Program. Retrieved from: https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjasOyQxLjPAhVJ34MKHS1RDeEQFggkMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.saskatchewan.ca%2F~%2Fmedia%2Fnews archive%2F2008%2Fmay%2F20%2Fnew shortline rail program keeps infrastructure on track%2Fshortline railway fact sheet.pdf&usg=AFQjCNE5sdlHak_1SmHIxGL2S9CaleZPfw&sig2=4f0n835VYCvVTsrHK1kCLA
Saskdocs.ca (2016). Work. Retrieved from: http://saskdocs.ca/work/bursaries-and-grants/rural-physician-incentive-program/
SEDA (no date). Saskatchewan Economic Development Concessions. Report. Retrieved from: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/29259718/saskatchewan-economic-development-concessions-seda-
Wikipedia (2016). Sustainable agriculture: Retrieved from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_agriculture
World Commission on Environment and Development (1987). Our Common Future. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 27. ISBN 019282080X.